We are now closing in on conference preview 6 of 32, the Atlantic Sun Conference. I will be looking at three players that you need your undivided attention on this College Basketball season and in the future NCAA tournament, the NIT, etc. Enjoy!
Garrison Matthews, Guard, Lipscomb
- To start the year, Matthews has already ruffled some feathers in Non Conference play, leading the Bison to great away wins at SMU and TCU already this year. Was a large factor getting the Bison into the NCAA Tournament last year.
- A scoring machine last year with 21 games over 20 points and went over 30 points four times. His scoring numbers have been down thus far this year, but he does have the support of teammate Rob Marberry which gives Lipscomb a 2nd man that can lead the pack of Bison, that will probably head back to the NCAA Tournament like last year.
- Thus far this year, has to improve on 3 point shooting as he is about 6% down in that percentage compared to last year at a subpar 32%.
Garrett Sams, Forward, North Florida
- Sams is a great 3 point shooter shooter at almost 40% last year. A kid that is capable scoring at will from deep. I need to see more than four 20 point games this season from Sams to get the Ospreys to the promise land of the NCAA Tournament.
- Sams has played well this year against a tough strength of schedule. Had great shooting games against the elites of Dayton, Southern Miss and Florida.
- Needs to shoot better from 3 point this season (25.5%) as they get more in depth into the Atlantic Sun schedule. That number should improve with time. Has been an outstanding 60% shooting from inside the line to make up for it.
JD Notae, Guard, Jacksonville
- A standout freshman for the Dolphins last, year, this kid a scoring machine. The Dolphins are 3-1 this year when Notae scores at least 15 points. Get this guy going, and you are going to have some problems, if you see the Florida Memorial game where he dropped 40 points.
- Hasn’t had a great year from above the 3 point line at around 32%, but when he shoots 40%+ from the 3 point line, the Dolphins are 3-0. Look for this to be a factor as the Atlantic Sun season winds down.
- As a 6-1 guard, it is a great stat to see that he’s had three 8 rebound games already in 10 games. That’s a stat you don’t see from many point guards.
Follow me on Social Media!
NEW Website: https://destroytheprocess.wordpress.com/ New clicks appreciated!
Twitter: @thebrickwahl87 and @DTPROCESS1 (12 Oz Sports Page)