The New York Giants were demolished on Sunday afternoon 38-11 at home against the Los Angeles Rams. There appears to be no light at the end of the tunnel for this franchise. New York has its roster in complete shambles and they need to start a rebuild all over again.
General manager Dave Gettleman is completely horrendous at building a football roster. I honestly wish they could get 53 new football players for the 2022 season, but that won’t happen. There may be only two players that are keepers and that is offensive tackle Andrew Thomas and wide receiver Kadarius Toney.
Daniel Jones is proving once again that his 402 yards game a couple of weeks against the New Orleans Saints was a big-time fluke. He committed four turnovers on Sunday. I don’t want to hear the excuse of injuries because that’s what chronic losing franchises do when their star players are hurt.
If Jones was a franchise quarterback, he would have carried his team without key players against an elite football team, but he didn’t.
I remember a game wherein 2010, Eli Manning was without Hakeem Nicks and Steve Smith against the Jacksonville Jaguars. All he had to throw to was Mario Manningham, Kevin Boss, and other players off the street and Manning carried them to a win in that game.
Speaking of Eli Manning, they carried the Lombardi Trophy from the 2011 season at halftime to honor the 2011 Super Bowl XLVI team with Tom Coughlin, David Diehl, Ahmad Bradshaw, Brandon Jacobs, and others.
Owner John Mara didn’t show his spine, because he know he would have been booed by the fans once again. Mara has to tear it all down once the season ends. Joe Judge is not a proven head coach. Jason Garrett is also a horrendous offensive coordinator and Patrick Graham is a terrible defensive coordinator.
In all honesty, with the trade deadline in two weeks, which players should they trade?
1. Saquon Barkley, RB: The New York Giants need to get anything for this player. Barkley has been a bust and maybe needs a fresh start somewhere else. The New York Giants should have never drafted him second overall back in 2018. Saquon Barkley tries to hit home runs on every play instead of going through where the hole is. New York needs to go back to a two-running back tandem starting next season through the draft.
Potential Landing Spots: San Francisco 49ers, Kansas City Chiefs, and Baltimore Ravens.
2. Evan Engram, TE: Evan Engram is another play that can use a change of scenery. Engram has a case of the butterfingers and a lot of New York Giants fans will be thrilled when he gets traded. He always had talent but never lived up to it. Evan Engram was a first-round pick back in the 2017 NFL Draft. He is not the answer moving forward and is more of a receiving tight end than a blocking tight end. The New York Giants are clueless in how to use him.
Potential Landing Spots: Tennessee Titans, Green Bay Packers, and Chicago Bears.
3. Jabrill Peppers, S: Jabrill Peppers contract will be up at the end of the season. He was acquired in the Odell Beckham Jr. trade a few years ago. Peppers has been good up until this season. He has seen the field a lot less because of Logan Ryan and Xavier McKinney.
Potential Landing Spots: Pittsburgh Steelers, Cleveland Browns, and Kansas City Chiefs.
4. Sterling Shepard, WR: Sterling Shepard could be valuable to another football team with his route running and hands. Shepard is a good wide receiver but not a great wide receiver. He is more of a number two wide receiver than a number one wide receiver.
Potential Landing Spots: Green Bay Packers, Cleveland Browns, and New England Patriots.
5. Logan Ryan, S: Logan Ryan is a great leader inside a locker room. However, he is a tremendous veteran player and deserves to be on a Super Bowl Contender and not a chronic loser like the New York Giants. Ryan has a hefty contract, so it would be interesting to see which teams would take him.
Potential Landing Spots: Tennessee Titans, Green Bay Packers, and Kansas City Chiefs.
I hope the New York Giants could trade as many players as possible for draft capital. They currently have 10 picks in the 2022 NFL Draft. I hope they land 15-25 picks in the upcoming NFL Draft for the new regime moving forward.
-Glenn Kaplan, 12oz Sports Contributor, Live Monday’s at 3 p.m. ET & Thursday at 11 a.m. ET on 12oz Sports
Photo Credit: Twitter @Giants