Every Tuesday morning, I give you my NFL Power Rankings 1-10 via my show Mike Said It First. This is now the third installment of my NFL Power Rankings 1-32. A reminder that Ravens beat the Bills, 49ers edged the Saints, and Rams blew by the Seahawks. Who moved? Glad you asked...
1. BALTIMORE RAVENS In back to back weeks against some very tough opponents, QB sensation Lamar Jackson has been 'limited.' Yet, he's still the MVP favorite. How? Despite passing for under 200 yards, Lamar tossed 3 touchdowns on the road in Buffalo. He also nearly rushed for 100 yards... again. It's clear who the NFL's best team is.
2. SAN FRANCISCO 49ers (+1) While this Kyle Shanahan coached team may still be limited by QB Jimmy Garoppolo, you DANG sure couldn't tell on Sunday. The young gunner passed for 4 touchdowns in a 48-46 shoot out. This was a game vs a tough NFC powerhouse in New Orleans that San Francisco needed. Why? They finally showed they can score.
3. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (+2) I feel like I create the only Power Rankings where even if a team LOSES, they can gain two spots. This was deserved, however. QB Drew Brees scored SIX total touchdowns in that loss to the 49ers. While I have been critical of the defense and Alvin Kamara, Drew and WR Michael Thomas are INSANE. I have been high on this team for a few weeks. If there was such a thing as a 'good loss,' this was it.
4. MINNESOTA VIKINGS I still have high expectations for this team, but Adam Thielen remains out and Dalvin Cook was obviously still nursing an injury in a game vs the Lions the Vikes won 20-7. This team is going to be a tough out when healthy.
5. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (-4) In came the Rams and down went Seattle. This was such a bad look for the Seahawks. Russell Wilson was underwhelming as his MVP hopes continued to dwindle. I have said all season this team is 'Russ or Bust' and it showed. I don't trust the Seahawks in the Playoffs. Remember, they are 9-1 in one score games, but that is TEN close games. You can't keep expending energy over and over.
6. GREEN BAY PACKERS (+1) While still a very complete team, why does Green Bay only win 20-15 vs WASHINGTON? I mean, that cannot happen. Head coach Matt LeFleur is a rookie and it shows. The defense is getting back to good again, but it has a decent hill to climb if it wants to be as dominant as it was to begin this season.
7. BUFFALO BILLS (-1) The game is over. And for Josh Allen's sake? Good thing, too. While most condescending sports 'analysts' will praise Buffalo for hanging tough vs the Ravens, I'll say this: This game went EXACTLY as I thought it would. Buffalo's defense was very good again. Yet, they lack a play maker at QB. I'm sorry.
8. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (+1) We are all ecstatic that Mahomes beat Brady in Foxborough. While that was impressive, I'm not sold on the OL, the run game, or the defense. This game was a confidence booster, but not a statement. The Patriots had been struggling, but kept it too close. Patrick Mahomes IS the best QB in the NFL. That being said, he is limited by his protection and his nagging injuries because of it.
9. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (-1) To be the best, you must beat the best. New England has not done that thus far. Tom Brady is getting old fast (finally). Sony Michel remains inconsistent. The WR corps is GARBAGE. The defense has been EXPOSED vs Lamar Jackson, Deshaun Watson, and now Patrick Mahomes. Y'know? COMPETENT quarterbacks.
10. TENNESSEE TITANS (NR) I don't know WHO this Ryan Tannehill guy is, but wow. Nobody realized how bad Marcus Mariota was until this once assumed bust showed up. Mike Vrabel is a quiet Coach of the Year candidate.
APOLOGY: Last week, I put the Raiders twice on my 1-32 list. I appreciate you reading this and I promise to be more mindful next time. I meant to put the Falcons in the second Raiders spot. Thanks for your cooperation and support.
REMINDER: Every Tuesday and Thursday at 10:00AM EST is my show Mike Said It First. You won't want to miss any episode. Hot takes come fast and bold!
CHALLENGE: Click the 12oz Sports Bowl Mania links on our Home page. Challenge listeners and podcasters alike this College Football Playoff season!