We now are closing in on conference 3 of 32, the Atlantic 10 Conference. I will be looking at three players that you need your undivided attention on this College Basketball season and in the future NCAA tournament, the NIT, etc. Enjoy!
Josh Cunningham, Forward, Dayton
- The Flyers have transformed Cunningham into one of the best shooters in the Atlantic 10, which was not his greatest attribute before, while being at Bradley. Archie Miller made a great move to get him to transfer to Dayton.
- Possesses a great ability to rebound as well, over 35% of his games last year he had 10+ rebounds in a game which is an excellent stat for an undersized forward such as Cunningham.
- When you can get 8 to 9 shot attempts from Josh nightly, that's when he is at the to of his game as far as selecting his shot inside. Deadly in the post.
Javon Bess, Guard, Saint Louis
- Leaving the Michigan State program was the smartest thing Bess has done by turning into a tremendous scorer in the Atlantic 10 at around 13-14 PPG vs. barely averaging 3 per game coming off the Spartans bench.
- Needs to improve his 3 point shooting percentage this year. He can't return to the just over 27% from beyond the arch if he is going to play the guard position. I would like to see Coach Ford give him more opportunities to shoot the 3 ball, which he seems to have improved his stroke so far this year against subpar opponents.
- Understands the speed of play against the big dogs on the schedule; Last year played Butler, Virginia Tech, and Murray State (all NCAA tournament teams) and scored over 20 points in those games. That big game leadership Bess brings to the table is crucial to this young Bilikens team.
Jon Axel Gudmundsson, Guard, Davidson
- This Icelandic basketball star will be a difference maker for this younger Wildcats team . This kid shot the lights out from beyond the arch last year at over 40%. Look forward to JAG to be a team leader this year and hopefully get Davidson back to the NCAA tournament.
- A very consistently balanced player, 13 points per game, 6 rebounds per game, 5 assists per game last year is what you like to see from an all around player who spreads the ball around but yet isn't afraid to shoot the ball when given a good opportunity.
- Although the strength of schedule thus far as been subpar, Gudmundsson has already taken the bull by the horns, and stepped up as the big man on campus at Davidson, which should be fun to see progress throughout this season!
Next On Deck: The Atlantic Coast Conference
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Follow me on Social Media!
NEW Website: https://destroytheprocess.wordpress.com/ New clicks appreciated!
Twitter: @thebrickwahl87 and @DTPROCESS1 (12 Oz Sports Page)